Our employees work on a variety of interesting and challenging projects that help improve the environment, the quality of the air we breathe, and other aspects of people's lives. Recent project work includes:
- Operating the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's AIRNow system, which aquires and displays real-time air quality data and makes the information available to the public.
- Creating the email alert service, AirAlert, which notifies parents, teachers, and coaches whenever air quality reaches unhealthy levels. This helps reduce children's exposure to air pollution.
- Forecasting air quality for several cities in the United States, which plays a vital role in protecting the health of millions of people.
- Monitoring air pollutants inside and outside homes, schools, and businesses to determine what exacerbates health conditions, particularly in children.
- Helping decision makers estimate greenhouse gas emissions and examine the benefits of potential greenhouse gas controls.
- Providing real-time smoke forecasts and other air quality information to firefighters and air pollution agencies during large wildfire events.
- Monitoring carbon monoxide levels on lakes in order to detect hot spots and prevent accidental deaths among boaters.